With so many roulette chat and webcam chat sites on the internet, meeting strangers is easier to do than ever before. You can hop on the internet, browse a cam site and go from one random stranger to another. Best of all, you get to see them through their webcam connection. However, are these video chat sites actually safe to use? Are there any risks involved and are they entirely secure? We investigated to find out just how safe these sites really are.
One of the biggest threats about these cam sites is that people actually see you. They see your face, they see where you live and they can even see items behind you that may allow them to locate you with precision. If you’re sitting on webcam in your bedroom and have photographs on the dresser behind you, strangers can see them. Although it’s rare, some people can actually get located through this type of common error.
In order to prevent this from happening, it’s important to display yourself on webcam with nothing important behind you. Move all photographs, posters and all other items that could allow strangers to get to know more about you.
What You Shouldn’t Say
There are certain things that you should never talk about when video chatting with strangers. Although some of these things are pretty obvious, many people ignore them once they are under the charm of the stranger that they are talking with. Make sure that you NEVER talk about the following things on webcam chat sites.
- Your credit card information, bank details or any other information related to your financials.
- Your current location, past locations or any detail that could allow the strangers to find out where you have lived or currently live.
- Your family members. Don’t talk about your siblings/parents such as giving out their names; this could put them in danger.
- Never give out your real name. You can tell the strangers that you meet your real first name, but avoid last names. This could allow them to know more about you.
- Don’t talk about your job. Never say where you work or who you work for.
- Don’t talk about concerts or bars that you may have recently gone to.
As you can see, most of these are pretty straightforward. The important thing to remember is that they need to know as little personal details about yourself as possible. If you start telling them tons of information about yourself or your family members, they will easily be able to find out where you live.
There’s no shame in becoming someone completely different when using video chat sites. These sites allow you to be as fake as you want and nobody will ever know. Chances are, you will never actually meet up with the people you meet in real life, so who cares if you make up a fake name and address.